Little disclaimer I will try to treat this
blog in a more casual manner than I would academic essay. J
I’m Kamil. I’m from Poland and spent most of my life there. For the last 3 years I’ve been studding Game Design at UCLAN. Doing a BA degree was a lot of fun. More fun than I expected it to be. Of course, there was a lot of work, moments of struggles and staying up till late hours. But when you do something that you like, that is not an issue. And learning new things about making games or painting concept arts is something that I like a lot.
I’m Kamil. I’m from Poland and spent most of my life there. For the last 3 years I’ve been studding Game Design at UCLAN. Doing a BA degree was a lot of fun. More fun than I expected it to be. Of course, there was a lot of work, moments of struggles and staying up till late hours. But when you do something that you like, that is not an issue. And learning new things about making games or painting concept arts is something that I like a lot.
For the past 3 years I focused mostly on
the field of concept art. I devoted a lot of spare time to practice painting characters
and environments, and do them whenever I could for my assignments. Even though
I can’t claim to be very good at it, but I think I’m decent and develop a lot
in this time period.
Comparing my works from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year of BA progress is noticeable. Though I can’t bring myself to like any of my old work now, and see only mistakes in them… But I guess that is also a sign of development.
Comparing my works from the 1st, 2nd and 3rd year of BA progress is noticeable. Though I can’t bring myself to like any of my old work now, and see only mistakes in them… But I guess that is also a sign of development.
I have a lot of interest, but tend to be
very critical of the products or art that I experience. So even though I try to
experience a lot of things I rarely find something that I enjoy to its fullness.
I’m interested in philosophy, psychology, history, science, architecture,
historical clothing and armor, books, films, different forms of art and storytelling.
Games too.
Books are the medium I enjoy most, more than films or games. They are the purest form of telling a story. And if written well they can provoke very strong emotional reaction. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those people who can read very fast so I haven’t as much books I would like to, and my experience with them Is very limited compared to what is out there.
Books are the medium I enjoy most, more than films or games. They are the purest form of telling a story. And if written well they can provoke very strong emotional reaction. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those people who can read very fast so I haven’t as much books I would like to, and my experience with them Is very limited compared to what is out there.
As an example I’ll give the Witcher book
series by Andrzej Sapkowski. They are some of my favorite books. (They were written way before games were
created. ) Even though the story takes place in fictional, fantasy world, it
feels very real and believable. Author ask a lot of questions about the reality
of the world we live in and human nature. He does not give one straight answer,
he doesn’t force his world view on the reader, rather he shows examples of
answers through his characters’ world view. But more than anything he encourages
readers to think for themselves. And that last thing is why I give this book as
an example, I like when medium encourages reflection. Though I know not
everybody want or need that.
As I grow older I shift my focus from flashy
action scene to films and tv shows that try to explore humans psychic and have
some message. Nowadays it is hard for me to enjoy films with a poorly written
story, even if they have exceptional visuals and great designs. (superhero
films won’t get love from me) Same goes for anime or animated films. Fortunately,
there are still great examples of films and shows that know how to combine intriguing,
free of plot holes story with beautiful and smart cinematography. Or films that
acknowledge the fact that they are films and play around with formula. I list
few examples:
“True detective”
“5 centimetre per second”
“The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki”
“The Shawshank Redemption”
“Grand Budapest hotel”
“Birdman”
“Girl with Dragon Tatoo”
“True detective”
“5 centimetre per second”
“The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki”
“The Shawshank Redemption”
“Grand Budapest hotel”
“Birdman”
“Girl with Dragon Tatoo”
This post is already quite long, so I’ll
write about games and games mechanic that interest me and might influence my
work in another post.
My Initial idea for my MA is to learn how
to create an experience that will hopefully resonate with others. During my BA
I mostly focused on the art site of creating games and I want to continue and
expand upon this. I don’t want to create game with complex, mechanics or hard
to master gameplay. And to be honest, I’m not sure if I can. I’m not someone
verse in UE4 blueprint, so I’m aiming at something less complex. I want to grow
as an artist, I feel comfortable with 2d, but there is still a lot I can and
want to learn about creating assets in 3d and making levels. And MA gives me an
opportunity to do so.
I
want to create a 3rd person game, in fantasy setting, but not similar
to anything we can encounter on earth. It might be based in a realm of the
gods/different dimension. I would like to focus on narration through the environment,
not text or speech. Something similar in atmosphere to Shadow of The Colossus
and Journey, abandoned, beautiful land. One of my main objective is to create
moments that make people say: “this is amazing”, or “beautiful.” However vain
it might sounds. I would love to create a big level or few levels, but I would
rather have 15 minute long good proof of concept than something long and
unfinished. Since most of the experience will narrow down to traversing the
level I’ll have to make movement very enjoyable.
To achieve my goals I’m going to look at examples
of shots, compositions for films and how they arraign space to tell a story,
what trick do they use to make shots that amaze people, or grab their attention
and try to apply that to 3rd person perspective camera. The film industry is a lot older than games so
there should be more research materials
that can be useful to me, but I’ll try to find some strictly related to games
too. I’ll be looking for books about photography, composition, filmmaking,
games, and level design. Probably watch lots of documentaries concerning these
subject. And tutorials about 3d sculpting, modelling.
So that’s the plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment