Followers

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Viking Longhouse Part 3.

Here are some screen shots of that environment. Unfortunately I lost my whole ue4 level. So I need to start with something new for the last semester. But I learn a lot while working on this, and hopefully I'll be able to use that knowledge in the future.

The base for the design of this building was a viking longhouse. But I encounter a problem, it was lacking verticality. Tho it wasn't the crucial part I wanted to put this building in the centre of a scene, a scene build around it so making it high would help a lot with drawing player attention. I borrow from stave church design and tried to mix them both together.


Image result for scandinavian church
Haaf+Netters+Fish+Their+Daily+Catch+Solway+TepapCbwn0jl

    

Making a straw roof was tricky task. My method was to create bunch of planes  with texture with alpha for transparency. But it looked artificial. Unfortunately I didn't find any tutorial on that or even good examples of breakdown of roof like that.






I might have overdone with amounts of details in skeleton of this building, but I really wanted to make it look believable, like a building that could exist and do not defy the laws of physic. That's why I add a lot of elements in roof support. Though I suspect a lot of players would not pay attention to those details.

15th Century Harmondsworth Barn



All small props shared the same material. Substance Painter allowed me for quick and easy material creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment