Followers

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Viking Longhouse Part2

I started to build an environment in UE4. I decided to start with one big building, a Viking long house to be precise.
Unfortunately, I didn't start with blockmap in UE4 with providing a lot of problems that could be avoided otherwise. I didn't accommodate for camera position of player character or its speed. So that will be something I had to take into consideration for future levels.

I tried to keep every model in one scene to constantly compare the size of an object, to make sure they are proper. Creating this scene was a tricky task,

Even though I thought I know how many models or what models I need I fond myself in constant need of adding more models or recreating old ones.



It was important to me to create models that would fit together. So I used texel density script to make sure all my models have uniform texture size.


I spent a lot of time in Substance Painter feeling more and more comfortable with it.

I wanted to optimise a texture space so many of my similar models shares the same materials. So I had groups of meshes and every group have its own material. But OJ from White Paper games, advised me to create one material that can be reused for different purposes rather than creating lots of different materials. I didn't do that cos I was worried about UV seams and it is easier to cover them when creating individual textures. Anyway, it is something I have to test.

No comments:

Post a Comment