For the starting point of my next project I
decided to redesign one of the dark souls 2 location. Its hub Majula. But it is
important to note that the end result might be far from the starting point and
it might not even be fair to call it redesign then. But it is not important.
I
feel like redesigning existing location will give me restrains and a sense of
direction I needed. Overall, I find it hard to create an environment. I like
working on models, materials and level, but it is hard to bring that all up together
to create a cohesive whole. I think I might have not given myself enough guidelines
in the past and the structure of my work wasn't the best. I’ll try to fix that
with this project.
Dark souls 2 left me with a lot of
disappointment and made me think of ways I would improve it if I had an opportunity.
There were lots of environments I could choose for this exercise, but I decide
it would be the best to focus on its hub. Majula is the central part of ds2
game world that leads to other areas. It is directly tied in with player progression
(levelling up, upgrading gear) so it is visited more often than any other area
in the game. It represents whole game, the key design decisions, aesthetic,
philosophies. But for the location of this importance it's lacking in many
respects in my opinion.
Let’s compare it to locations that had the
same role in other entries to the souls’ series.
Hubs in other games have a much stronger
aesthetic. Their use of colours and contrast values creates more intriguing
environments.
They have much more interesting level
designs, that focus a lot on verticality. On the contrary Majula is flat.
The use of monumental structure makes other
hubs look more significant, it leaves a stronger impression on the player.
Majula looks bland an uninteresting. Of course an argument could be made that
it was an international decision. And in all fairness it probably was. But I
can't say it was a right call.
Redesign process:
I decided to start with finding a proper
mood for the location I would like to design. For a time of day I've chosen
morning. This won’t only influence the colour palate or mood of the location,
but also add to subtext. A morning could mean the beginning of the journey, the
hope, energy, fitting themes for one of the first area in the game and one players
use for the rest.
But mornings can differ a lot depending on weather conditions. So I gather reference photos and created few scenes that represent different types of morning weather and different atmospheres.
But mornings can differ a lot depending on weather conditions. So I gather reference photos and created few scenes that represent different types of morning weather and different atmospheres.
So to bring some order to my work I'll make a schedule and try to follow it!
Week 1-2 - Concept art, sketches
Week 3-4 - Design, blockmap
Week 5 - big assets, materials
Week 6 - props
Week 7- onwards - building environment in engine.




No comments:
Post a Comment